On Saturday, I attended the 101st Stockport Art Guild exhibition at Stockport War Memorial Art Gallery. I have 3 prints in this year’s exhibition which consists of 2 etchings based on Stockport that I worked on just before the Covid lockdowns and a photo screen print I completed this summer at Green Door Printmaking Studio in Derby.
The exhibition was a massive success and I helped with setting it up over the last few weeks.
2020 has been a “challenging one”, which is a phase I’ve heard many times this year not surprisingly. My year in general has had its fair share of ups and downs like most folk.
The printmaking project has certainly been affected by this year’s pandemic but I have made the most of the situation by being as productive as possible with home printing and attending a few social distanced workshops. I took part in the first ever Manchester Open which ended early, the Macclesfield (Virtual) Open which was a first for me and the Towneley Hall ‘Impressions’ exhibition which will run until mid-February 2021. Hopefully more people will be able to view the Towneley exhibition before it ends if lockdown restrictions are relaxed in time.
In the Autumn, I entered a screen-print edition for the annual Hotbed press Twenty/Twenty International print exchange.
I will definitely be doing more screen printing next year and experimenting with other printing techniques like lithography on kitchen foil.
Currently, I am in the process of designing a brand-new personal website which will be linked to my blog.
I will be adding new features to my website and displaying artwork previously not seen before. The new site will be launched early in the new year. Really looking forward to getting my new website online.
I am currently working on a multicoloured screenprint of one of the subjects for my project. I have so far printed two colours and hope to add another five colours to complete the print. I’ve not worked with this type of printing for many years and am really excited about what the final result will look like.
The photo below shows the two colours I have printed so far. I am printing around twenty prints but will probably whittle this down to around ten to fifteen by the end of the print run.
The screenprint depicts the back of a building which is run down and has a earthy brick red wall and a makeshift fence painted in ultramarine blue.
I am using a set of acrylic paints mixed with printing medium. The screen and frame are attached to a diy jig which is a piece of plywood board attached to the screen with two brass hinges and screws. The jig is very effective and allows me to register each colour precisely onto the paper.