Blossoms pub etching taking shape

I recently started work on a new etching on the theme of pubs in Stockport as part of my printmaking project. The new print depicting The Blossoms pub which incidentally is opposite the old pool hall building which I mentioned in my last blog post.

Printing plate ready for aquatinting.

I might use this print for the upcoming 20:20 print exchange or I might do a brand new linocut instead.

On Saturday, I was due to take part in a Japanese woodcut 1-day workshop down in Derby at Green door studios. The workshop has been rescheduled for later this year due to illness. I hope to do a blog post in late October. I have never done any woodcut prints before so the wait will be worth it.

I am also continuing to work on my Vernon Park Linocut depicting a carved stone bench which I printed the second colour last week. Today I carved away a third layer which will be a light brick colour. I will show the results in my next blog post.

In mid May, I visited the capital London and spent a couple of hours in the British Museum. The museum is free and there are rotating exhibitions in the main forecourt building which you have to book for. One of the free exhibitions was the Japan’s festival float on the ground floor in Room 3 gallery as you enter the museum on the right hand side of the entrance. Apart from the beautifully crafted wooden model boat which was donated back on 1908 for the Summer Olympics, there were some amazing woodcut prints on display. I would recommend this place as a day out if you are visiting London as a tourist, lots to see.

Visiting the British Museum recently.

Printfest Ulverston

I visited Printfest on a day trip yesterday afternoon. The weather was good as I drove up the M6 towards the Lake District. Printfest is an annual print festival held in the quaint market town of Ulverston at the Coronation Hall celebrating contemporary handmade prints.

Coronation Hall, with Laurel & Hardy statue in the foreground.

I chatted to a number of printmakers while I visited the festival including printmaker and friend Pete Marsh who was participating in the festival.

Printfest 2023.

I also had a chat with the owners of a new print studio just opened in the town called Printshare Lakes which runs printmaking workshops based at premises on Queen street in the town. Printshare runs workshops such as in paper lithography, mono print, collagraph, drypoint and linocut.

Printfest 2023.
‘Kynance light’ by Hazel McNab

After visiting the festival, I headed back along the A590 stopping off with my parents for a pub meal at the Hare & Hounds in Levens village.

Sir John Barrow Monument, Ulverston

Mailbox Stockport Lino-print

Mailbox Stockport apartment block
Reduction Lino cut ‘Mailbox Stockport’

In the months of July and August, I have completed a 7 colour reduction lino-cut print depicting the Mailbox Stockport apartment block which is a former post office building that had been abandoned for years. The building is located in the centre of Stockport just off the A6 main road not far from the railway station. The new building has real foliage and bright green tiled walls on it’s exterior.

I used oil based inks from Hawthorn Printmakers this time apart from the green which is a mix of water-based Pea green and oil based Titanium white. The effect of mixing a water based ink with oil based printing ink is very interesting in that it creates a unusual pattern when the print dries.

I created a total of 10 prints from the plate which I cut down until only a few pieces of linoleum remained. The red colour used in the print was added with watercolour paint.